On Leadership

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Much has been written and recorded on the subject of great leadership. With changes in leadership occurring in both the public (read: Presidential) and private (read: Employment) areas of my life, I have been thinking about this quality more than usual lately. The following is my definition of a great leader. I would love to hear your thoughts, so I invite you to comment!


I believe no leader can be considered great if they fail to practice what they preach. It is the nature of leadership to be watched and followed, and therefore to lead by example. Hypocrisy acts upon leadership like water to metal. The relationship is a corrosive one.

I believe leaders earn the respect of others. Those who attempt to wrest loyalty without establishing rapport can only pose as great leaders. To earn respect, they must show respect to others. It is as simple as the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. This is a tenet of humanity I wish we all subscribed to, but regrettably, not all of us do.

I believe a great leader thrives on open-mindedness. They listen as often as they speak and hunger for knowledge and new points of view, rather than attempting only to superimpose their own stances on others. They sponsor collaboration among opposing points of view and cultivate teamwork over individualism. And they are strong enough to admit they are not always correct.

I believe great leaders make a point of supporting others. They learn what inspires people and use that knowledge to encourage and inspire them. They follow up on the tasks they delegate with a sense of genuine curiosity and a willingness to debate over the things they see differently. The antithesis of support is to override and dictate, leaving another's efforts irrelevant and wasted.

I am sure there are many more things that separate great leaders from poor ones, and hope you will share them.

0 comments:

 
Matt Was Here - Templates para novo blogger