Thoughts: December 11

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Random thought for today: It feels awesome when I successfully rip a paper towel off the roll using only one hand. Next time you're feeling down or grouchy, you should try it. I guarantee you'll feel at least a little better. Now, on to more serious business. Well, not serious, but less random at least.

For a long time, when it's come to music on my iPod, I've been what I call an "album purist." I disliked having any incomplete album, opting instead to have everything in full. I figured, 'I've got 60 GB. It's not like I'm hurting for space.' The result: nearly 6,000 songs, many of which I've never even listened to. As of yesterday, I'm changing my ways. I'm going through those nearly 6,000 songs one by one and assigning a rating to each (1-5 stars) based on the following system:

  • 1 Star: Either not music to begin with (i.e. filler track) or an absolutely worthless track
  • 2 Star: Not worthless, but something I couldn't enjoy listening to if I tried
  • 3 Star: Run of the mill, pleasant enough to keep but nothing I'm in love with
  • 4 Star: I may not count it among my favorites, by my head begins to bob immediately
  • 5 Star: A standout song that I can listen to over and over without growing tired of it

If a song doesn't get at least 3 stars, it's gone - with one possible exception being those albums that flow in a continuous stream from start to end. If I really like the album overall, but not a particular part, it might not be worth deleting a song and breaking up the flow.

I'm hoping to get down to 5,000 songs. As of now, only 664 to go.

* Update: 12/16/08 - 452 to go.

0 comments:

 
Matt Was Here - Templates para novo blogger